Translate

Thursday, March 21, 2019

"Lovin' Some Soul"

~ Aretha as I remember her!

She was such a lovely lady, to be sure!  We lost the multi-talented Aretha Franklin just under one year ago, and, sadly it seems only like yesterday.  This lady of soul was a true American icon...a powerful singer, songwriter, civil rights activist, and actress!  Aretha was one versatile lady who stepped right along with the times, changing her look and adapting to all genres of music!

Aretha was pretty shy, in her younger years with quiet beginnings in the church, where her father was a minister.  But, look out!!!  Aretha hit the soul and pop scene in the 1960's, copped a sassy attitude, and drove it all the way through her career!

***

Aretha wrote the book on R~E~S~P~E~C~T!  She commanded "respect"
and Got It!



~ Yahoo Images
* Respect charted at #1 on the US Pop Chart on Valentine's Day 1967 *

***

In 1967, Aretha recorded at the FAME Studios in Muscle Shoals, Alabama, where various other artists like Etta James, The Rolling Stones, and Wilson Pickett were known to record.




~ Aretha Frankin * FAME Recording Studio * Muscle Shoals, Alabama



* Yahoo Images

Ms. Franklin accomplished so much during her years as a top entertainer and favorite "Lady of Soul".  She was the first female to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1987.  She was also inducted into the UK Music Hall of Fame in 2005, and
the Gospel Music Hall of Fame in 2012.

***
One of my favorite performances of Aretha's is her song and dance number in "The Blues Brothers" film in 1980.  She runs a diner, and has a hard time keeping her man from leaving to go on the road with the Blues Brothers.  Let's take a look!


* Don't you just love this!
* Aretha's "Think" charted on Billboard at #7 in June of 1968 *

Did I mention something about a "SASSY" attitude earlier?

Did you know...Aretha Franklin was also asked to sing at not one, but THREE Presidential Inaugurations!

Let me see...Okay.  Looks like Aretha sang at President Jimmy Carter's inauguration in 1977.
She sang, "God Bless America"

Then, along comes President Bill Clinton in 1993...
Aretha sang, "I Dreamed A Dream"

And, at President Barrack Obama's inauguration in 2009
Aretha sang, "My Country, Tis of Thee"

***


* Getty Images

~ Aretha Franklin sings at the Presidential Inauguration of President Barack Obama
January 20, 2009

The hat she wore with the BIG Bow went viral...pretty cool hat, huh?
A spokesperson for vulture.com reported that Aretha hoped her hat would later be displayed at the Barack Obama Presidential Library!
I have no evidence to corroborate that the request has been honored

***

I have had the pleasure of watching  a few memorial tributes to this Lady Aretha Franklin.  She was well-respected and loved in the music industry.  I for one will always be a fan!

***

Can I leave you with my favorite Aretha Franklin recording?  This song charted at #1 on the R & B Chart, and, at #2 on Billboard Hot 100 in 1968.  
Aretha said she didn't write the song, but she might as well have.
It was her story.
 ****
Please allow me to Thank:  Youtube
Ms  Aretha Franklin
Blogger
Yahoo Images
Getty Images
Wikipedia
theguardian.com
historyofrecording.com
pagesix.com
* and a few others * 
None of the featured images or videos are my property!

Aretha Franklin * The Queen of Soul * Chain of Fools!


*Thank you so much for coming by!  I hope you are all doing well.  Please stop in and say hello if you get the chance.  It's always nice to hear from you!

*** Please send your prayers to the folks in Alabama and Georgia, who are still experiencing trauma over the recent tornadoes.  May relief and the rebuilding of their lives come soon!

Be good to each other...laugh a lot, and Love, Love, Love!
*** Until next time! *** 💗

5 comments:

  1. Hi, Suzanne!

    Forgive me for arriving late, dear friend. It was late in the evening before I noticed your new post here on Rock A Billy Rock. I was tired and decided to visit you in the morning when I am fresher.

    I was delighted to discover this tribute to The Queen of Soul, the late great Aretha Franklin, an artist we both loved for her music and for her civil right activism. By the way, yesterday, Thursday, the day you published this post, Jimmy Carter became the oldest living president in U.S. history at 94 years, 172 days! In the decades since he left office, Jimmy has risen in stature.

    I remember reading about Aretha's Muscle Shoals recording sessions, how she wowed the veteran musicians with her maturity, professionalism and soulful, gospel-influenced voice, making believers and fans of them in no time. In recent years I listened for the first time to Aretha's early career pre-Atlantic jazz and blues recordings made for Columbia Records. They are wonderful. The songs you referenced in this post, "Respect," "Think," and "Chain Of Fools," were all big "Dell songs" played heavily on the jukebox in the dance hall at the Shady Dell, along with four others that come to mind: "(Sweet Sweet Baby) Since You've Been Gone," "Ain't No Way," "The House That Jack Built" and "See Saw."

    Aretha missed out on millions of dollars of potential income due to her fear of flying which started after a bad flight on a small plane in 1984. From then on she traveled by tour bus, and it prevented her from getting to some major lucrative gigs.

    Aretha's sweet voice has been silenced, but her legend and her music live on. Thank you for doing your part to keep Aretha's name in play so that young people of Scootie's generation might come to know and love her as much as we did.

    This was a wonderful tribute piece for Aretha Franklin. I wish you a fabulous Friday and a safe and happy weekend, dear friend Suzanne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, Shady! Thank you for your appreciation of my small tribute to Aretha. I just felt like saying something, having grown up in the era as a Soul Survivor. Of course, there have been many bios written of Aretha, and I have learned so much more about her, than just her ability to sing.

      I got your message early this morning about my comments function. I believe that has happened on this blog before. I went to the settings, and saw that it said to moderate comments. I have changed it, and hope it sticks this time! I also have my mother and sister's emails in the settings to send posts, but they have disappeared. I didn't even know until after I published. Well, my sister will look for it anyway!

      I had never even heard of Muscle Shoals until about 5 years ago when Karo and I just happened to come across a documentary on PBS about it. It was almost over, but I have had an interest in it ever since. One of our recording artists mentions Muscle Shoals in their song, but I can't remember if it's the Stones or not.

      I was pretty amazed to learn of Aretha's contributions to women's civil rights. Even though her songs screamed WOMEN ARE IMPORTANT TOO, I didn't realize she had such an impact on the movement. I remember the Angela Davis and Black Panther issues, but, didn't know Aretha was stepping up to help Ms Davis out. It turns out, Aretha had to get on a bus and was unable to acquire the funds to have Angela represented and released.

      I guess we could go on and on, Shady about the lives of the entertainers we loved and still appreciate.

      Thank you so much for coming by this morning. Spring has sprung, I guess! We're expecting 70+ temps today, and I have a few flowers to plant. I appreciate you adding more insight to Aretha's life, and for your great comments.

      Have a wonderful weekend, dear friend Shady!

      Delete
  2. Hi Suzanne, you've really done justice to the memory of Aretha. Such a wonderful person with an amazing voice. Love her hat too - it rocks!
    Thanks for your visit, and I think your profile pic is lovely.
    I hope life is treating you well. Cheers now xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sue, and welcome back from your wonderful vacation! I enjoyed seeing the pictures you shared of Hanoi! Yes, Aretha is kind of like the female version of Elvis! I think she will always be remembered fondly. I always enjoyed seeing her perform, with her various costumes and hairstyles. She was so talented, and full of soul!
    Thank you so much for coming by, Sue! I'm glad to see you! Take care! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Azka and welcome. I'm so glad you enjoyed my post. Come back anytime. Thank you for your kind comment. Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete